Time to dust off the grill and pull the patio cushions from storage so that Dad can have his special moments enjoying some Father’s Day grillin’ & chillin’ favorites.
I thumbed through my family cookbook to devise the menu below. Most of the tastes are strong and guy-oriented, so they are sure to please most anyone who likes bold flavors.
As a special bonus, I’ve included our particular family favorite: a recipe from a Lebanese friend for a delicious, tangy walnut & red pepper spread called Muhammarah.
Father’s Day Grillin’ & Chillin’ Favorites Menu
Here are some of the favorites tastes of the Dad-types in our family. Mix or match as you like, and if you want to add these ideas to your family cookbook, be my guest!
Munchies n’ Tapas
An assortment of strong flavored mostly Mediterranean-style tidbits to tickle the taste buds and accompany your Father’s Day grillin’ & chillin’ favorites.
- Marinated artichoke hearts – be sure they are the tangy kind
- Dried Mediterranean olives – intense salty, olive flavor
- Chunk Feta cheese – use a sharp flavored Greek or Bulgarian feta, if available
- Hummus – any favorite flavor, but original is always a winner
- Walnut & red pepper spread – see recipe below
- Deviled eggs – kick them up a notch with an extra shot of Tabasco
- Pita bread, pita chips, sliced French bread or water crackers
For the Grill
Two favorite Father’s Day grillin’ & chillin’ meats. Great with mustard!
- Top Sirloin – a flavorful lean cut that cooks quickly
- Bratwurst – buy fresh from a German deli, if possible
Some sides to go with your Father’s Day grillin’ & chillin’ favorites.
- Sliced Tomatoes – nice big Beefsteak tomatoes, if available
- Caesar Salad – romaine, freshly grated parmesan, croutons and a bottled Caesar dressing will do fine. Extra points if you add chopped anchovies!
- Barbecued Beans – your family’s favorite brand in the can
Traditional drinks to enjoy with your Father’s Day grillin’ & chillin’ favorites.
- Bud Light with lime – so refreshing!
- Lemonade (Juice of 3 fresh lemons, 1 cup sugar, water to taste.)
A flavorful and refreshing end to a wonderful Father’s Day filled with grillin’ & chillin’ favorites.
- Fresh Strawberry Shortcake (Pound cake, Cool Whip, and sliced fresh strawberries marinated overnight in sugar and Triple Sec or Grand Marnier. Put some strawberries aside for the kids.)
Prepare this authentic Lebanese Walnut & Red Pepper Spread ahead of time to go with your Father’s Day grillin’ & chillin’ favorites. But be sure to keep it covered and out of sight, or you won’t have any for the party!
This delightfully tart dip from North Africa has a haunting taste of pomegranate. Mmmmm!
- 1-1/2 cups walnuts, chopped + 1 Tablespoon for garnish
- 2 jars roasted red peppers, drained (or 4 fresh roasted red peppers, skin removed)
- 1/2 cup dry plain breadcrumbs (add more if dip is too thin after processing)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup pure pomegranate juice (unsweetened)
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (more if desired)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper (more if desired)
- ¼ teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
- 1 Tablespoon lemon- or orange-flavored olive oil
- Ground sumac for garnish
- Toast walnuts in oven or skillet. Cool. Chop into small coarse pieces.
- Place half of the chopped walnuts and all other ingredients in a food processor and puree until smooth. Fold rest of chopped walnuts into Muhammarah mixture.
- Serve Muhammarah in dish and drizzle with lemon- or orange-flavored olive oil and a sprinkling of Sumac.
Hope you have a great time making your Father’s Day grillin’ & chillin’ favorites, and happy cookbooking,
- Easy Apple Pecan Cream Pie Recipe – Reinvent Grandma’s Old Standby
- Brown Bag Lunch is a Picnic with Your Family Cookbook!
- How to Choose Good Recipe Software & Avoid the Data-Entry Dungeon
- 6 Things You Need to Know about Wood Spoons
- How to Please Everyone with a Family Cookbook at Your Reunion!
- Light & Simple Cilantro Dressing (+ Tips on Keeping Your Coriander Fresh)