Jalapeño mint ice cream. It sounds kind of odd, doesn’t it? Both hot and cool! But as odd as it sounds, jalapeño mint ice cream is surprisingly good.
Try this quick recipe for jalapeño mint ice cream to startle your dinner guests or have fun at parties!
Jalapeño mint ice cream has a surprise in every spoonful. The jalapeño pepper flavor is not prominent, but the mint and burn is. It has a wonderful minty-flavored smoothness, punctuated by a surprising burn in the back of your mouth! An intriguing sensation that is both weird and pleasant at the same time.
How I discovered jalapeño mint ice cream
I first had jalapeño mint ice cream about 20 years ago at a food show where the vendor was experimenting with some unusual flavors. The vendor was definitely ahead of his time with that idea. There are so many more adventurous flavors of ice cream now, such as honey lavender, smokey chipotle, and dill pickle.
My recipe for jalapeño mint ice cream is so easy it shouldn’t really be a recipe. I avoid the ice cream freezer altogether.
How to make Jalapeno Mint Ice Cream
- Half gallon container of good vanilla ice cream, preferably French Vanilla
- 10-12 ounce jar of jalapeño mint jelly
- 1 teaspoon mint extract
- Mint leaves for garnish
Soften ice cream in a bowl so it is slightly pliable.
Add mint flavoring and quickly fold in jalapeño mint jelly so it is well mixed, and the jelly (and flavoring) is distributed fairly evenly.
Refreeze in carton for at least four hours.
When ready to serve, spoon into dessert dishes and garnish with sprig of mint.
When I serve what appears to be plain vanilla ice cream, it’s fun to see how my gourmet guests react to the kick of the jalapeño mint ice cream!
They always ask, “What’s this?” Then they dive in for more.
My guests invariably ask for the recipe, which I just happen to have already written for them on cute recipe cards.
- 7 Fall Favorite One Dish Dinners from Around the World
- 7 Steps to Backing up your Life Without Using the Cloud
- Jams, Jellies, & Preserves: An Outdated Section in Your Cookbook
- Try Before You Buy: Visiting a Fancy Gourmet Chocolate Show
- 3 Salad Recipes for the Tea Party Hostess with the Mostest
- Organize Your iPhone Charger, Cables & Headphones in this Box