Mashed potatoes are the ultimate comfort food. They can be lumpy, smooth, thick, or thin, and they will still be delicious. Mashed potatoes have a certain quality that makes fans know “everything will be okay.”
Mashed potatoes are versatile, and can be cooked in a variety of ways. Whether steamed, boiled, or broiled, mashed potatoes can be among the easiest of foods to prepare. Although not based on scientific evidence, it seems the texture of mashed potatoes also has something to do with its popularity as a comfort food.
5 Ways to Make a Splash with Mashed Potatoes
1. Sauté 1 cup chopped onions and 1 cup sauerkraut together and stir into your favorite basic mashed potatoes. Top with crumbled bacon or bacon bits and you have a great Oktoberfest-style dish to serve alongside bratwurst.
2. Add 1 cup finely diced ham and 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese to leftover mashed potatoes for a hearty all-in-one approach to dinner.
3. Snip 1 teaspoon of fresh young rosemary and add to cold or room temperature mashed potatoes. Heat in microwave for a few minutes until warm, then add ½ stick butter and 1 teaspoon powdered oregano. Stir well, and then continue heating in microwave until bubbly.
4. Mix 2 ounces of cream cheese and 2 ounces of sour cream into hot mashed potatoes. Plop in some strong horseradish (to taste) and salt, and serve alongside hot sliced beef.
5. Stir ¼ cup of fresh Parmesan cheese, 2 cloves crushed garlic, and 1 teaspoon dried Italian parsley into mashed potatoes.
Mashed potatoes as a comfort food has long been recognized in the culinary world and academia. With winter coming upon us in mere weeks, it makes sense to get our mashed potato recipe repertoire all figured out, (and go buy the items needed to have a full-blown mashed potato experience!)
- 7 Fall Favorite One Dish Dinners from Around the World
- 7 Steps to Backing up your Life Without Using the Cloud
- Jams, Jellies, & Preserves: An Outdated Section in Your Cookbook
- Try Before You Buy: Visiting a Fancy Gourmet Chocolate Show
- 3 Salad Recipes for the Tea Party Hostess with the Mostest
- Organize Your iPhone Charger, Cables & Headphones in this Box