Tomato sauce. It’s ubiquitous in Italian-style dishes. You use it so frequently that you probably never write it down. But why not take a few minutes and write it down for the rest of us? Once you’ve got your tomato sauce base in your recipe box, it’s going to be much easier to share with other family members and friends.
Here’s my tried and true recipe for a fabulous tomato sauce.
Basic Tomato Sauce
• 3/4 cup chopped onion
• 4-6 cloves minced garlic (minced)
• 1/4 cup olive oil
• 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes (yes, I know fresh is better. But sometimes…)
• 2 teaspoons salt
• 1 teaspoon sugar
• 1 bay leaf
• 1(6 ounce) can tomato paste
• 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
• 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a pot over medium heat, sauté onion and garlic in olive oil until onion is soft.
- Stir in tomatoes, salt, sugar and bay leaf.
- Cover, reduce to low, and simmer 70-100 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste, basil, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and simmer 30 minutes more.